One Boston Medical Center Pl , 1st floor
Job Category: Administrative
Job Number: 549960
Is job remote?: No
Country: United States
Health Information Representative
6-month contract, extension possible
Location: Boston, MA
Pay Range: $20-22/hr
Benefits: medical, dental, vision, 401k
- Strongly preferred experience within an academic or healthcare staffing office
- EPIC experience
The HIM Birth Registrar will work a rotating schedule, including every other weekend. The HIM Birth Registrar will manage the birth record preparation process by interviewing parents for correct information, completing the legal birth record for all newborns born at the hospital, obtaining and notarizing paternity papers when necessary, and maintaining birth data submitted to the state. 98% accuracy expected
- Maintains a log of all newborns and fetal deaths using the Newborn Daily Report in EPIC as a resource.
- Conducts bedside interviews with parents of newborns to obtain accurate demographic information.
- Educates parents on state vital statistics legalities, and processes regarding birth, obtaining the birth certificate, social security card, and paternity.
- Interviews parents and reviews medical records to correct information for birth/death certificates or paternity.
- Arranges for a language interpreter, if necessary.
- Effectively interacts with spouses, significant others, and families during sensitive and crisis situations.
- Communicates with individuals, departments, and government agencies.
- Responsible for collecting legal data, preparing and submitting birth records and related documents following state regulations.
- Accurately abstracts from the parent worksheet and electronic medical record and keys data into Vitals Information Partnership (VIP), the State of Massachusetts’ Vital Registry System, for reporting.
- Prints the ‘Parent Letter’ for either mailing or distribution to parents.
- Calls parents for missing or questionable information or follow-up on Acknowledgement of Paternity (AOP) forms.
- Manages the acknowledgment of paternity process by ensuring the forms are used in appropriate situations and that AOP forms are correctly completed. Notarizes parents’ signatures.
- Accurately updates Master Patient Index for newborn name changes within three days of discharge.
- Transmits birth records electronically to the state and for printing/mailing within 10 days of birth as state regulations require.
- Works with the State Department of Vital Records on audits and resolves possible discrepancies in the birth certificate.
- Maintains an organized and uncluttered work area.
- Promptly answers incoming calls and emails.
Share This Job:
Login to save this search and get notified of similar positions.